Wednesday 11 April 2007

Books

I've started a list of books I'm currently reading, positioned somewhere on the left of this page. I'm going to keep adding to it as I continue here but I'd appreciate any suggestions for additional titles or authors that I might not have come across.

Perhaps it's because I'm a writer, but I've always thought books have a special power. Erotic fiction is particularly powerful because I don't think any other genre can work so effectively on the senses. There are few romances that can vividly recapture the emotive experience of being in love. There aren't many action/adventure stories that truly get your heart pounding as though you're involved in the developing narrative.

In my opinion, the only genre (other than erotic fiction) that comes close to achieving this is horror. Stephen King, and the late Richard Laymon, are both authors who have written passages tht have had me unnerved and frightened. But these two are exceptions. The majority of fiction doesn't come close to recapturing the essence of the mood it's trying to evoke.

Except for erotic fiction.

So, if there are any titles that have really worked for you, or any authors that always ring your bells, please let me know so I can add to my library.