Friday 4 May 2007

Embarrassing

Last night I went to my usual sign language class. The mood was fairly light because the week before we'd just completed our second exam. The lesson was structured into two halves with the first including new vocabulary and the second being a chance to use that vocabulary in conversation with other classmates.

The topic was WORK and OCCUPATIONS.

Which meant we learnt the signs for NURSE, FACTORY, OFFICE and POLICEMAN. They were fairly simple. NURSE involves using your thumb to make a plus sign against your bicep. POLICEMAN is made by stroking two fingers against the back of your wrist.

I asked if POLICEMAN could also be signed by using a curled fist in front of your nose. As this is the sign for PIG I was told, in no uncertain terms that the use of this sign in those circumstances was not acceptable.

And then we moved onto conversation. I sat opposite a very large guy. We exchanged names in sign language and then I asked him his occupation. He stroked two fingers across the back of his wrist.

Which is probably not my most embarrassing moment. Admittedly, I did want to crawl into a hole and die, but that's a pretty common state of mind where I live.

All of which is my way of asking how bad was your most embarrassing moment? Particularly if it relates to swinging (although I always enjoy the schadenfraude of someone else's misery) how badly have you put your foot in it - and what did you do?

me@ashleylister.co.uk